Saturday 19 April 2014

Return of the Swallows.

I saw the first Swallows today and although the horizons are changing in the countryside it’s nice to know that some things stay the same. The lambs are gamboling close to their mothers in the fields, the cows are out to pasture after a long wet winter inside and butterflies are making their first outing, quivering over paths  and fresh green grass.  I spotted a Speckled Wood, a Peacock and a Large White on my walk today. Greater Stitchwort abounds in the hedgerows along with still flowering Blackthorn. I can see the first green leaves on the Hawthorne so I am hoping they will be full of May Flowers soon too.  I saw my first Cuckoo Flower,  Dog Violet, Field Speedwell and  a small pocket of Bluebells.  Along with the Swallows swooping overhead,  I recognised the trilling of a Robin and a Wren. Lambs bleating, cows mooing, distant Doves cooing, the sounds of countryside and the return of the Swallows, Summer is on it’s way.
 
Swallow soaring overhead


Lambs on the look out
 
 Walkers and cattle enjoying the sunshine

Speckled Wood on a Bramble

 Greater Stitchwort

Wind turbine next to the Church, an ancient green lane with a new horizon

No comments: