Wednesday 27 January 2021

North Devon Wildlife through the window. Seasonal photos of the birds in my garden

Well what a year. Stormy times, supermoons, lockdowns and Covid19 restrictions meant that I didn’t get to visit some of our favourite locations and all the events were cancelled for the year. Luckily for me I love my small messy garden and the bees, birds and butterflies love it too. 

The natural world did not take a break and continued as usual with the regular birds on and below the feeder. For the first time I enjoyed watching a couple of Siskins which stayed in the garden for a couple of months, I do hope they return and nest here. January 20/21 2020 a fleeting visit from some Long Tail Tits and wonder of wonders they returned with a flurry of snow on 23rd January 2021. 

I had started putting out Niger Seed for the Goldfinches, which they enjoyed, I then added Sunflower Hearts to the menu, they loved those even more and continue to devour messily on a daily basis.  They have dominated the feeders throughout the year and it looks as though this year will be the same, I counted 11 yesterday, I am hoping they stay around for the Big Garden Birdwatch this weekend. The Sunflower Hearts are popular with most of the birds and probably why the Siskins visited. 

As usual the Swifts and Swallows arrived in the Spring, spotted the first Swallow flying aloft 17th April, watched them gather on the wire above the garden on the 17th September, the next day they were gone. Finally snatched a shot of the elusive Great Spotted Woodpecker in June, they are regulars in the garden but pretty much peck and go a bit like the Wrens. Sadly I only saw one Greenfinch a juvenile, I miss the House Martins that once used to build their nests in the corners of the windows beneath the roof.

I have watched as usual as the birds sing out, nest and raise their fledglings. Here are just some of the photos from 2020.

North Devon Focus. Great Spotted Woodpecker Photo copyright Pat Adams (All Rights Reserved)
Great Spotted Woodpecker Photo credit Pat Adams
North Devon Focus. Sparrow Fledglings - Photo copyright Pat Adams (All Rights Reserved)
 Sparrow Fledglings - Photo credit Pat Adams
North Devon Birdwatching through the window. Male and Female Siskin Photo copyright Pat Adams (North Devon Focus) All Rights Reserved
Male and Female Siskin. Photo credit Pat Adams
North Devon Birdwatching through the window. Photo copyright Pat Adams (North Devon Focus) All Rights Reserved
North Devon Birdwatching through the window. Photo credit Pat Adams
Birds in my garden 2020
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Chaffinch
Coal Tit
Dove
Dunnock
Goldfinch
Great Tit
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Robin
Sparrow
Starling
Wood Pigeon
Wren
👀👀👀
Pat Adams' North Devon Focus. A North Devon Coast & Country Chronical
Explore the Coast and' Country' side of  Bideford Bay and Beyond

No comments: