Friday 12 July 2024

Butterflies at last. Butterflies count

I was beginning to wonder if the butterflies were ever going to return. Worryingly very few in numbers over the past couple of months.

I spotted the Speckled Wood in my wildlife friendly garden at the end of May. On my walks around coast and countryside I only saw a couple Orange Tips back in the Spring and very few Whites.

Yesterday I saw a good selection including

  • Red Admiral (first I’ve seen this year)
  • Gatekeeper (first I’ve seen this year)
  • . Skipper (first I’ve seen this year)
  • Comma (first I’ve seen this year)
  • Large White
  • Small White

There was also a solitary Brimstone among the many Gatekeepers fluttering around the beautifully sheltered Permaculture Garden at Tapeley Park.

I do the Big Butterfly Count every year, so I’m hoping my own garden count counts for something this year. I took the stunning Speckled Wood photo in  my garden at the end of May.

 Butterflies at last. Photo credit Pat Adams North Devon Focus
Butterflies at last. Photo copyright Pat Adams North Devon Focus
Large White - Photo credit Pat Adams North Devon Focus
Butterflies at last. Speckled Wood  Photo copyright Pat Adams North Devon Focus
Speckled Wood - Photo credit Pat Adams North Devon Focus

 ðŸ¦‹ðŸ¦‹ðŸ¦‹ðŸ¦‹

 The Big Butterfly Count 2024 runs from 12 July - 4 August, spend 15 minutes in a sunny spot and help gather vital data to save butterflies and moths.

Help the Butterfly Conservation take nature's pulse by joining the Big Butterfly Count. The Big Butterfly Count is a UK-wide survey aimed at helping us assess the health of our environment simply by counting the amount and type of butterflies (and some day-flying moths) we see.”
https://bigbutterflycount.butterfly-conservation.org

-----------

Pat Adams' North Devon Focus. My North Devon Coast & Country Chronicle

Facebook ðŸ˜Š - Flickr

Explore the Coast and' Country' side of  Bideford Bay and Beyond 

No comments: