A member of the care team at Edenmore Nursing Home has shared how a career in social care helped her discover a passion for homemaking, creating a warm, welcoming environment where people feel comfortable, cared for and at home.
Social care offers a wide range of career opportunities, from Carers and Care Practitioners to Domestics, Maintenance Team Members, Nurses, Chefs, Cooks, House Leads, Administrators and Home Managers.
It is a sector where people often discover new interests, develop new skills and grow into different roles over time. For many, it is a career path they never fully understood until they experienced it for themselves.
Carole joined Edenmore Nursing Home almost seven years ago after looking for a role where she could make a positive difference within her local community. What began as a position as a Carer soon evolved into a role that perfectly matched her lifelong love of cooking, hospitality and caring for others.
Originally from France, Carole grew up on a family farm in Normandy before moving to England in her twenties. After working as a personal assistant, raising a family and later retraining as a special needs teaching assistant, she eventually found herself searching for a career where she could build lasting relationships and support older people.
Reflecting on her decision to join Edenmore, Carole said, 'I was looking for a permanent role where I could stay within the local community and make a positive difference to people's lives. I have always enjoyed caring for children, but I also became aware of the many older people in my neighbourhood living alone and often feeling isolated.'
Today, Carole is best known in the home for her homemaker role. From preparing welcoming living spaces and supporting mealtimes to sharing conversations over a cup of tea, painting nails, listening to music and simply sitting alongside someone who enjoys company, her focus is on creating an environment where everyday life continues in a way that feels familiar and meaningful.
She said, 'Every day is different, but my aim is always the same; to make everyone feel comfortable, loved, cared for and at home.'
Over the years, Carole has built close relationships with the family members (residents), including greeting one former French teacher each morning in French.
She shared, 'It has become our secret language. It is lovely to see her smile and laugh every time we do this, and it makes my day. It is a simple event but reminds me how small connections can make a difference.’
For Carole, these relationships are what make working in care so rewarding. When leaving the home at the end of the day, she has a special routine she follows.
‘At the end of each shift at 7pm, I don’t say goodbye. The reason for this is because it can upset some of the family members. Instead, I simply say, “My friends, I am tired now and I need a rest. I will see you in the morning. Keep well.”
To read Carole's full story, including her journey from rural France to North Devon, her daily life as Edenmore's homemaker, the special relationships she has built with family members, and the story behind her famous apron collection, visit:
True Compassion: Carole’s Career in Care
Edenmore Nursing Home provides 24-hour nursing and residential care in Ilfracombe, North Devon.

No comments:
Post a Comment